1st Islamic Month - "Muharram"
What is Muharram ?
Muharram is the first month of the Islamic calendar, and thus marks the start of the Islamic New Year. Muharram also holds a greater significance – we know from the holy Qur’an that Muharram is one of the four sacred months.
The meaning of Muharam is forbidden, referring to the fact that it is one of the four sacred months in which warfare is forbidden.
Muslims are encouraged to engage in increased worship during this holy month.
Muharram holds much significance among Muslims because as well as being one of the four sacred months, it is a month in which many important historical Islamic events took place.
These include the Hijra sharif- migration of the muslims to Madina, and the martyrdom of Imam Hussain (AS) and other family members of the Prophet (Peace be upon him) during the Battle of Karbala.
Key dates in Muharram:
Virtues of Muharram
The sacred months offer us the opportunity to seek the mercy and favour of Allah SWT. Thus, there is an opportunity to gain more reward every day; but also the danger of gaining more sins with our bad deeds.
There are many virtues of Muharram and simple things we can do to take advantage of the benefits of the sacred month. Here are some recommended actions or Sunnah during Muharram.
- Fast: Keep a fast on the 9th and 10th Muharram (the day of Ashura), or on the 10th and 11thMuharram. Fasting expiates sins.
- Read the Qur’an: If you are unable to fast, reading the Qur’an or doing Dhikr can help you to feel the blessings of Muharram. Remember, any gathering for the sake of Allah SWT will also be filled with barakah and the Angels will join you.
- Give regular Sadaqah: Muharram marks the beginning of the Islamic New Year, so it’s the perfect time to make resolutions and establish good habits like giving regular charity, so that you can gain blessings all-year round.
- Muharram – The Month of Allah
- Safar – The Month of Distinction
- Rabi Al-Awwal – The Birth of the Beloved
- Rabi Al-Thani
- Jamada Al-Awwal
- Jamada Al-Thani
- Rajab – A Sacred Month
- Sha’ban – The Neglected Month
- Ramadan – The Month of Fasting
- Shawwal – The Month of Reward
- Dhul Qadah – A Sacred Month
- Dhul Hijjah – The 10 Best Days (The Month of Hajj)